10th March 2017 : Library Workshop
DES’s NMITD had organized one day library workshop on 10th March 2017 at DES’s NMITD campus, 2nd floor, Computer Lab 3. Twenty-five out of thirty participants from Mumbai and Pune, had participated in the workshop.
Title of the Workshop: “Cloud Based Integrated Library Management System For 21st Century Libraries.”
Background of the workshop:
Latest technological development has brought a dramatic change in every field, and library science is not exception to it. Information technology has impacted positively on library and information system and services they provide for users. Due to information and communication technologies (ICT) traditional library services are increasingly getting transformed through automation and digitization; we are now moving towards becoming paperless “virtual” libraries. Library science professionals are seeking to explore various technologies to tackle their profession’s challenges. Cloud computing forms a critical technological enabler in this context. It helps us in bridging the gap between digital libraries and IT. Sharing of data among the libraries will in principle reduce the overall cost and increase the efficiency. For instance, economy of information handling, reduction in duplication of resources, ease of tracking subscriptions etc. are aided by moving towards cloud based library platforms.
Thus it’s timely that this workshop looked at the basic concept and tries to discuss the pros and cons of this newly developed area known as cloud computing, as it relates to library science. The use of cloud computing in libraries and how it actually works was illustrated in this one day workshop. It must have helped in enhancing the participant’s experience and in making the libraries a lot more scalable.
- To introduce the knowledge of the Cloud Computing Applications for LIS professionals.
- To introduce the purpose of use of cloud computing in educational libraries for LIS professionals.
- To introduce ‘KOHA’, the most popular cloud application used by LIS professionals
- To introduce other library services through Cloud computing for LIS professionals.
Discussions and training activities:
The workshop was alienated into two sessions; morning and afternoon session. After hi-tea, the workshop was inaugurated by DES’s NMITD Director Dr. SamadhanKhamkar. Mrs. ShamalaMuzumdar introduced Mr. Hemant Shetye, Librarian, Pravin Gandhi College of Law. Dr. SamadhanKhamkar gave a welcome speech to all the participants and felicitated Mr. Hemant Shetye, the keynote speech. He started his morning session by 11 a.m. His topic was ‘Koha ILMS on Cloud’. He gave hands on experience to all the workshop participants.
Post Lunch, for the afternoon session, Mrs. ShamalaMuzumdar introduced Mr. PralhadJadhav, Senior Manager – Library , Khaitan& Co (Corporate Law Firm). He delivered the lecture on ‘Cloud Based Integrated Services @ 21st Century Libraries‘.
Recommendations based on the evaluation of training/education
The feedback forms received from the participants reveal that 88% participants strongly agree on the following points:
- Workshop was well organized.
- It helped the participants to learn the practices related to the library profession.
- The information and skills presented were relevant and useful.
- The presenter modeled participant-oriented learning strategies and techniques.
- One representative from the participants thanked workshop organizing body for arranging the workshop. She expressed her surprise about the low cost of the participation fees, and conveyed that the Organisation will arrange such workshop in future as well.